The WASTE Page
WASTE is a TextEdit replacement written by
WASTE stands for WorldScript-Aware Styled Text Engine. The main
features of WASTE are:
- Compatible with styled TextEdit.
- Text size is limited only by memory (no 32k barrier).
- Full WorldScript support, including inline input and
- Built-in for undo.
- Drag and drop text editing.
- Embedded objects.
- Real tabs.
- Fully justified text.
- Internet Config
- Customizable low-level hooks for drawing, measuring text, and
- Demo with full C source code.
Marco also runs a WASTE
page with information on the upcoming WASTE 2.0.
WASTE and Support Files
- The latest version of WASTE.
- WASTE 2.0
- Work in progress on WASTE 2.0
1.1 QuickView Database
- A version of the WASTE 1.1 documentation in QuickView format.
- A set of routines for adding tab support to WASTE 1.1 and
WASTE 1.2. Note: For WASTE 1.3, use the tab code included
with WASTE 1.3.
Object Handler Archive 1.2.6
- A set of object handlers for use with WASTE 1.2. Put together
by Michael F. Kamprath and
John Daub. Includes handlers
for pictures, sounds, and files.
- WASTE 1.2a3
with multiple alignment support
- Szilveszter Juhos's
modified version of WASTE 1.2a3 that allows different paragraphs
to have different alignments.
- Hooks for WASTE 1.2 or later by
Jonathan Kew. One extra
shows invisible characters, and the other speeds things up when
you want to wrap lines only on CR's.
- From Damien
1.3a4 modification for multiple undo support
- From Somorjai
- WASTE 1.2
documentation in html
- From Neil Miller
1.3a4 documentation in Word 5.1 format
- The file used to make the pdf version of the documentation.
TCL version 2.0b2
- A set of classes for using WASTE (any version) with TCL (THINK
Class Library), by Dan
- A set of classes for using WASTE with PowerPlant by
- A WASTE counterpart of the TTEView TextEdit wrapper object for
MacApp 2 (in pascal) by
Roger Brown. It's not totally polished, but handles the
- By John Allsopp.
- From the Debugger Group at Apple. It supports the basic
functions of WASTE.
- MacApp now has complete support for WASTE 1.3.4.
There is a complete framework for using WASTE along with an example of how WASTE can be
used as a text editor that supports embedding graphics, URLs, etc.
- Sample printing code in C by
- More complete printing code in C++ by
Alain Aslag Roy.
more printing code
- A routine to print a block of monostyled text using WASTE, by
- Code for printing with WASTE under Quickdraw GX by
- Sample code for using XTND with WASTE from
and Quickdraw 3D Object Handlers
- From Xiaolin Zhao,
Some of the Programs Using WASTE
(in alphabetical order)
- A sound replacement utility produced by
Clixsounds and written by
Mark Wall of Green
- AOL Instant Messenger
- AOL's online chat program
- A text editor by Akira.
- Grammar checker, dictionary, conjugator for French.
- An email utility from
- An AppleScript command line interface for the MacOS by
- A personal information manager
- A PowerTalk based email program.
- The Internet bandwidth utility
- A commercial cross-platform organizer.
- A text editor that works with clippings, so you can open the
files directly from the Finder, by
Jae Ho Chang
- Eloquent Player
- A player for conferences-on-CD.
- A plugin for CU-SeeMe that adds text based chat support, by
- A replacement for Stickies with tons of nice enhancements.
- A newsreader.
- Hsoi's App
- A application shell by
John C. Daub that
includes support for WASTE based text editing.
- A WYSIWYG HTML editor written by Rick Giles.
- A hypertext viewer by
- Hugo Plus 8.0
- A bilingual (french and english) grammar checker, by
- A much enhanced Stickies replacement by
Glenn M. Berntson
Ching Connexion 2.3
- "I Ching with a new view" a divination utility by
and Ed Van Zon.
- I'm TextViewer
- A general text file viewer by
- Internet Explorer
- Microsoft's web browser
- A newsreader by Roger
- iSpQ VideoChat
- Video conferencing and instant messaging by nanoCom
- Kodak Picture
- For making digital postcards with Kodak digital cameras.
- A C Programming Environment for Reversible Execution and
- A list server from
- An X.500 Online Directory client by
Mark Smith. It will use WASTE
in an upcoming release.
- A Japanese-English dictionary application written by
- A multi-paradigm interpreted language based on array theory.
Andy Maloney and
The Array-Based Computation Lab at Queen's University.
- A application that provides a Mac interface to internet
weather servers, by
- A C++ programming framework.
- A German offline newsreader and email software, by
- A WASTE-based mail client
- MSN Messenger
- Microsoft's instant messenger client
- An IMAP email client
- A shareware time-tracking utility by
- Netscape Communicator
- Netscape's browser package
- Microsoft's free email/news client
- An HTML editor.
- A hypertext knowledge engineering application from
- Personal Log
- A program for managing collections of notes by
Michael F. Kamprath.
- A ray tracing application
- An application which smoothly scrolls your speech down your
screen by ilesa Software
- A freely distributable cross-platform programming language.
- A statistical application.
- A visual, object-oriented development environment
- A JAVA applet development environment from Natural
- By Mark Gaponoff
- A freeware program to play Scott Adam's adventure games.
- Script Debugger
- A powerful replacement for Apple's Script Editor by
- Sentius Read!
- A viewer program for enhanced hypermedia documents
- An IRC client
- A web server log analysis program.
- An application development environment from QKS.
- Speed Search
- A shareware application that searches files for text, by Matt
- A styled text editor by
- Japanese, English-Japanese, Japanese-English dictionaries by
- Web application development software.
- PreFab Text Machine(tm) adds verbs to AppleScript and Frontier
to search and replace based on text patterns defined by simple
keywords. A future release will bring the benefits of pattern
matching to people who don't write scripts.
- A WASTE-based version of Tom
Bender's popular Tex-Edit editor.
- A TeX based typesetting tool that supports GX fonts, by
- A multimedia database manager
- A multimedia presentation manager
- A WASTE-based text editor by
Xiaolin Zhao that
provides special features for editing Chinese text.
- Wanna Be Web Browser, a text based web browser.
- A utility for building dynamic graphics for web pages.
- A WASTE based HTML editor by
- A freeware Macintosh implementation of traceroute by Bryan
- A utility for teachers that creates dozens of different
worksheets for students based on word lists that the instructor
enters only once
- Yet Another
- A news reader derived from NewsWatcher
- A text editor that can work with two-byte fonts without the
Other Sources of Information
- WASTE Mailing List
- Dan Crevier
maintains the WASTE Mailing List using
subscribe, send a message to
- Dan's ftp
- Has the latest versions of most of the WASTE related stuff.
Maintained by Dan Crevier.